With much excitement, I installed Skype for Android onto my Nexus One just the other day.
However, my first impressions are not good. Here are my experiences thus far: first, the good things.
- The user interface is snappy and pleasant to work with.
- I like the groups feature that allows you to look at just those online, etc.
- It integrates with the call out functionality. That is, when I dial a number – Android asks me if I want to make the call via Skype or the regular dialer.
- The client does not give me the option to remember my password. So, if I shut the app down, I have to re-key my password every time, which is very annoying.
- No calling over 3G! This is a huge disadvantage as the Verizon phones can..also, the iPhone Skype client allows for calls over 3G.
- Calling is too quiet. When I call someone – I struggle to hear their voice, even in a drop dead quiet room. I’m hoping Skype fixes this – because it makes Skype calls impossible.
- No way to just exit the app. To get out of Skype, i have to click the “My Info” tab, then sign out. Why can’t I just exit?!
So, as you can see, the usability of the Skype Android application leaves a lot to be desired. I’m hoping future versions improve. Until then, I’ll use Nimbuzz for Android.